Whether it’s something that happened in the past or something that could happen in the future - wishing the thoughts away only increases our resistance to them and attracts more resistance into other areas of our lives. Here are some ways to practically deal with recurring thoughts:
1. Mindfulness - get into the now. When recurring thoughts arise we can acknowledge that we’re following them and then make the conscious decision to tune into the now. The recurring thoughts are keeping us trapped in the mind - to ground ourselves in the now we need to lose the mind and come to the senses.
2. Subconscious detoxing - filling the mind with peaceful imagery. Often times our recurring thoughts can be triggered or perpetuated by what we choose to feed our subconscious mind. To greatly reduce the frequency of these thoughts we can immerse ourselves in nature and take a break from social media, television & music.
3. Exercise - working out our emotions. Recurring thoughts can be an indication that there are some emotions within us that have not been expressed. One way to express these emotions is to move into the body which relieves much of the mental tension that can be brought on by these thoughts.
4. Creativity - expressing our true feelings.Another way to express repressed emotions or thoughts is through being creative. Painting, drawing, singing, dancing or cooking - creative outlets greatly reduce stress and are a great way to deal with recurring thoughts.
5. Meditation - observing the thoughts that dominate the mind. When we make time to be present with ourselves we can observe the thoughts that are dominating the mind. Rather than feeling helpless to these recurring thoughts we can adjust our actions to create positive thoughts that serve us.
Positive actions create positive thoughts - do what you love.
Peace & positive vibes.